Campaign promises are a literal joke that repeats every political season. Self-limiting terms, fiscal responsibility, and tax returns the size of postcards, to name a few. Within hours of election, the newly minted official has already forgotten the promises that put them over the top.
In differentiating my candidacy from the others, making campaign pledges are important. Talk is cheap. Instead of tossing these pledges into the wind and nobody taking them seriously, I will cement my commitment to my word. Today I held a press conference where I detailed the following pledges. I have signed twenty notarized copies which are being sent to the press and to prominent Republican leaders throughout Utah. If you are in Republican leadership and would like a signed copy, please contact me directly or my campaign. Once the twenty are distributed, I will post a list of individuals possessing signed copies on the website.
- Democracy â€“ I will actively strive for broad public collaboration, equally weighing and considering the input and advice of the American people with those alongside me in Washington.
- Open and Honest Leadership – I will be open and honest about the dealings of my office. I will continue to publish my calendar of meetings and events in relation to my public life. While doing this, I will protect individual privacy and national security where requested or necessary.
- Fair Elections – I vow to serve only three terms if incumbent advantage cannot be overcome or eliminated. I will reform campaign financing either by a shared donation pool for all candidates seeking the same office or through public financing. I will also work to eliminate the seniority system in Washington by replacing ranking committee leadership with a random lottery appointment system.
- Fiscal Responsibility – Until there is a balanced budget and the United States is cleared of all debt, I will stand with Congressman Jim Matheson in voting down congressional pay raises. Until this happens, I will donate any salary increase to charity.
- No Nuclear Testing – I will fight against any and all forms of testing on the Nevada nuclear testing ranges.